Celebrated annually on April 22nd, Earth Day is observed around the globe, creating awareness for environmental conservation, to encourage poeple to be more environmentally conscious, and to take action to reduce the environmental impact on our planet. More than 1 billion people in more than 170 countries, including more than 6 million Canadians participate in Earth Day celebrations.
Here are some great ideas to consider:
- Leave your car at home. Utilize your bike or walk for exercise, but ensure to practice social distancing.
- "Turn off the lights", energy conservation. Plan activities all day with the lights off.
- Composting. Make an effort to compost daily.
- If you are starting to garden, consider planting some pollinator flowers to attract bees, which are essential to our food chain.
- Plant an "Earth Day" legacy tree in the backyard with your family.
- Ditch the Plastic. Stop buying single use plastic beverage containers and instead, buy liquids in bulk.
- Think before you print.
For more information, visit www.earthday.ca.