Stay informed and discover the latest happenings in Belleville, Ontario with the Belleville Chamber of Commerce News.
Every day, millions of people log in to social media. They are connecting with friends, family and businesses that they care about and are interested in. Your posts are competing for attention with everyone else's posts.
The images you use can leave a powerful and lasting impression. It is important to get it right.
Constant Contact has created this cheat sheet for correct social media image sizes and guidelines for Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Facebook image sizes
- When it comes to your profile photo, make sure to use an image that represents you or your brand. It should be at least 170 x 170 pixels.
- Your Facebook cover photo is the image that appears at the top of your brand page. Try to keep this image at 820 x 312 pixels and beware that anything smaller will be stretched to fit.
- Want to share a post to your brand page that includes an image? Images that are shared in a post have a recommended size of 1200 x 630 pixels.
- Pro tip: use your Facebook Page to really showcase your brand and create a cohesive, identifiable profile. You can do this by using your company logo as your profile picture and a photo that speaks to who you are as a brand for your cover photo.
Instagram image sizes
- Instagram is all about images, so it’s important to get things right. For your profile picture, use an image that is 110 x 110 pixels. Keep in mind that this will be cropped as a circle, so be aware of any details that may be lost at the edges.
- Uploaded in-feed images can be square (1080 x 1080 pixels) or rectangular (4:5 ratio). The thumbnails that preview your uploads on your profile appear as 161 x 161 pixels.
- Are you thinking about using Instagram Stories this year? If so, be sure to use the recommended resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels or an aspect ratio of 9:16.
- Pro tip: short content is in! With more than 300 million daily users, Instagram Stories and Reels are a good place to focus this year when creating short-form content.
Twitter image sizes
- For your Twitter profile photo, it is recommended to use a 400 x 400 pixels square image, although Twitter will crop it to appear as a circle.
- Your header photo on Twitter should be 1500 x 500 pixels. Make sure to choose an image that represents your brand/business.
- When sharing a link, Twitter will generate a Twitter Card to display the image associated. This image will appear at 1200 x 628 pixels. When Tweeting a single image, the photo will appear at 1200 x 675 pixels.
- Pro tip: Twitter truncates image previews within Tweets. This means that if you tweet a single image, it will appear collapsed before a user clicks on it to expand the full image. For this reason, be sure to avoid awkward cropping by horizontally centering your content.
YouTube image sizes
- Your YouTube channel profile image shows a user whose channel they are on. Your YouTube channel profile image should be 800 x 800 pixels and should use either your company logo or a photo of yourself so people can easily identify your brand.
- When uploading videos to YouTube, custom thumbnails can be very useful in garnering attention for your content. Custom YouTube thumbnails for your videos should be 1280 x 720 pixels.
- YouTube allows you to upload a cover photo for your channel, further building your brand identity. The minimum image size for your cover photo is 2048 x 1152 pixels with an aspect ratio of 16:9.
- Pro tip: YouTube cover photos can be tricky, to say the least. Although YouTube requires a very large image for your cover photo, only a sliver of this photo will be visible on desktop and mobile devices. Make sure to check your photo and adjust the crop using YouTube’s channel art tool before publishing to avoid any awkward cropping.
LinkedIn image sizes
- Uploading your company logo as your business page image ensures that customers, employees, and others can easily identify your profile. Your company logo image should be 300 x 300 pixels.
- LinkedIn’s company business background image covers the entire top of the page. It is recommended to upload an image around 1128 x 191 pixels.
- Posting to your business page on LinkedIn is a great way to share exciting company news or updates. If you’re going to include an image in your post, use the recommended size of 1200 x 627 pixels.
- Pro tip: LinkedIn is the world’s largest professional network — so keep it professional. Make sure that your posts, and images, are appropriate for the audience and focus on building relationships with industry leaders or finding new employees rather than driving traffic or prospecting for new customers.
Read the complete Blog post from Constant Contact for more.