Stay informed and discover the latest happenings in Belleville, Ontario with the Belleville Chamber of Commerce News.
As announced on Monday, effective Wednesday, January 5, 2022 for at least 21 days (until January 26, 2022), the Government of Ontario has reinstated public health measures that impact our members.
See full measures here.
At the same time, the government announced it was expanding the new Ontario Business Costs Rebate Program, in addition to a 6-month interest and penalty free period for most provincially administered taxes. The Province also indicated it was considering other supports.
The Ontario Chamber of Commerce (OCC) responded, calling for further supports for business and a comprehensive plan that ties restrictions to clear, data-based metrics so that employers, workers, and families can plan ahead. The official response response from the OCC can be seen here.
Following the announcement, Ontario’s Minister of Finance called our President and CEO Rocco Rossi to let him know the government is considering further supports.
Subsequently, a letter was sent from the OCC to Hon. Peter Bethlenfalvy, Ontario's Minister of Finance, expressing the need for
- a third extension of the Small Business Support Grant,
- increased rent subsidies,
- the immediate access to rebates for property taxes and utilities,
- expanded access to rapid antigen tests and PCR testing
- the forgiveness of loans for businesses most severely impacted by public health restrictions
- grants to cover increased expenses for PPE, ventilation, etc.
The letter from OCC President and CEO, Rocco Rossi can be viewed at this link.
A list of provincial and federal support programs is being complied, and will be shared as soon as possible.