MP Neil Ellis is pleased to provide the following update on support measures for Canadian seniors on limited incomes who are affected by the ongoing COVID-19 situation.
The Government of Canada will provide:
- $2.5B for top-up payments through the Old Age Security (OAS) program and Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) program.
- OAS recipients will receive a temporary top-up payment of $300 dollars.
- GIS recipients will receive a temporary top-up payment of $200 dollars.
*Please note that those seniors who are eligible for both programs will receive a total combined support of $500 dollars. These supports will be applied automatically to individual OAS and GIS accounts.
- $20M in additional investments to expand the New Horizons for Seniors Program (NHSP).
This program offers support to local organizations that provide community-based projects which reduce isolation, improve the quality of life of seniors, and help them maintain a social support network.
- Temporary extensions for GIS and Allowance payments if seniors’ 2019 income information has not been assessed. This will ensure that seniors continue to receive their benefits when they need them the most. To avoid an interruption in benefits, seniors are encouraged to submit their 2019 income information as soon as possible and no later than by October 1, 2020.
- For more information on this announcement, please refer to: https://pm.gc.ca/en/news/news-releases/2020/05/12/prime-minister-announces-additional-support-canadian-seniors.
- Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan can be reviewed at: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/economic-response-plan.html.
For current updates on all COVID-19 advisories, MP Ellis encourages everyone to visit: Canada.ca/coronavirus.