Update on federal support measures for agricultural and agri-food industry.
Neil Ellis, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Agricultural and Agri-Food, and MP for Bay of Quinte, is pleased to provide the following update on support measures for Canadian food producers, processors, and distributors affected by the ongoing COVID-19 situation.
The Government of Canada will provide a total of $252M dollars to the agricultural sector to be allocated as follows:
- $77M to enhance and expand the food security measures adopted by food producers and processors. This funding will be used to purchase of personal protective equipment (PPE) and implement physical distancing or other safety measures to ensure the continued health of workers and safety of all food products.
- $125M to deliver the National AGRI Recovery Program to help livestock producers adjust to changes in the marketplace. This funding will help producers retain their livestock until processing can take place.
- $200M to improve the Credit Line available to the Canadian Milk Board, which provides assistance to dairy and cheese producers.
- $50M to launch a Surplus Food Purchase Program to improve Canada’s capacity for domestic redistribution of surplus food items. The federal government will purchase large quantities of surplus food products most at risk of going to waste and redistribute these items to organizations that address food insecurity at the regional and local levels.
More details on these support measures will be forthcoming soon.
“Farming is very hard work and it’s great to know that the federal government is supporting that work and all our domestic production, processing, and distribution processes as much as possible during this challenging time. There is no reason to let good food go to waste when we know that there are people are stretching their resources to make sure that their family’s basic necessities are being met. I deeply appreciate all the constituents who have raised this strategy to my attention over the past few weeks. It’s been great to advocate for this moment.” -Neil R. Ellis, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food, and MP for Bay of Quinte
- Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan can be reviewed at: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/economic-response-plan.html.
For current updates on all COVID-19 advisories, MP Ellis encourages everyone to visit: Canada.ca/coronavirus.